Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Rob Keeley's 'The Treasure in the Tower' is exactly the right kind of MG story--and awakened my inner Anglophile

Title: The Treasure in the Tower
Author: Rob Keeley
Genre: MG mystery

What Goodreads has to say:

A school trip to historic Deanchester becomes more exciting when Jess and her friends discover the city hides a secret treasure. Local historian Dr. Joseph Pyrite left a series of clues scattered around Deanchester’s landmarks, which Jess, Mason and Kessie are determined to solve. But they only have three days. And they have competition. A series of increasingly cunning tricks awaits Jess and her party as they try to beat Perdita and Thomas to the treasure.

What I have to say:

I always know a book by Rob Keeley will be fun, heartwarming, and full of twists--and The Treasure in the Tower was no exception. This middle-grade story about a group of students who decide to hunt for a long-lost treasure while on their school fieldtrip is a delightful adventure that kept me guessing and smiling. 

Sometimes MG books like this are just the kind of read you need: charming, breezy, and exciting without getting too intense. I was caught up in Jess's search for the treasure and amused by the various mishaps she and the others got into, but I didn't have to worry that serious harm would befall any of my favorite characters. (The worst thing that happens is someone gets doused with cold tomato soup.)

The characters are fun. Jess is determined but ethical in her pursuit of the treasure, whereas her arch nemesis Perdita, for all her sense of superiority, is not above cheating. Perdita's accomplice Thomas might have been my favorite, even though he's technically "the enemy." Though he is working against Jess for most of the book, it's only because he gets pushed around easily and Perdita ropes him into it. And unlike Perdita, he does feel bad about cheating. Mason, Jess's "evil twin" is also a fun character.

Also, can I just say how much I love seeing illustrations in chapter books? I love collecting illustrated novels and really think we should bring that trend back. The Treasure in the Tower has simple, whimsical black and white drawings by Simon Goodway that add yet another layer of charm to the story.

Unlike Perdita, I may be above cheating, but as an American, I'm not above being an Anglophile, and I guess there's something enchanting to me about a group of school children on a treasure hunt in a historic English town (even if I had to put up with a few Briticisms along the way). It makes me want to take another trip to England--and maybe go on a treasure hunt myself if the opportunity presents itself.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment