Monday, November 25, 2013

The Rising by Terra Harmony

The Rising

18300412
 
Title: The Rising (Painted Maidens #1)
Author: Terra Harmony
Series: The Painted Maidens
Publisher: Patchwork Press
Publication Date: November 7, 2013
Source: Netgalley
 
Goodreads Summary: Fifteen-year-old Serena is the youngest member of a dying race. The increasing acidity of the ocean is destroying her home, slowly eating away at the once thriving underwater landscape. But since the night of Serena’s birth, it is an outside force that most threatens their dwindling population. Werewolves, who once served as protectors for mermaids in the Kingdom of the Undine, now seek to eliminate all who dwell in the ocean — and Serena is about to find herself right in the middle of the deadly conflict.

Given the title of Werewolf Liaison, Serena is determined to make things right for her people. When she ventures to The Dry, she meets Liam, the werewolf with hazel eyes, and her whole world gets turned upside down. As Serena discovers the real history between werewolves and mermaids, she is left wondering who her true enemies are.
 
My Thoughts
       Storyline: Wow, this was a really interesting storyline. When I first picked up The Rising I was a little wary, werewolves and mermaids? Harmony, good job woman, I didn't think it would work, but you nailed it.
 
********WARNING SPOILERS********
 
The idea that the werewolves were part of the Undine, was a major plot twist. That was the point in the story when the elements all started to fit together. Before Serena learns this information the rebellion of the wolves doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. However, as the story continues and Serena learns more about her people everything fits into place ending with Serena becoming Queen.
      The Undine: I really enjoyed the world of the Undine. I loved how each individual was reflected through the colors of their tails. I also thought it was interesting that although the Undine strive so hard to be different from the Ungainlies, there are plenty of similarities. The court is one example of just how vain the Undine really are, I think it's interesting that the only two people who don't seem to be concerned with what others think of them are the King and Serena. The king, because he is the king, and Serena because she just doesn't care. In her life the important things are not how people see her, but how she can help those around her. It made perfect sense once the reader learned that Serena was the princess. Her sense of love for all around her, and her concern for the ocean and it's life is so unique. It makes her into the perfect queen.
                             Okay, so just for a moment let's freak out about how cute Serena and Kai are. AHHHHHHHHHHH. okay done. So now we can move on.
       The Werewolves: I LOVE Liam. A LOT. Actually I was secretly hoping he and Serena would get together, but then she fell in love with Kai, and I really liked Kai, and then we found out that Liam was her brother, so the love part would've been really awkward . . . Anyway, he was great. I loved how genuine he was, and how he helped Serena to quench her fears, and learn to be brave. I also thought it was really interesting that the fear of the Undine was what really controlled the Change. I thought that that was a really interesting touch. I loved how tender Liam was, and how protective he was of Serena. It was really sweet.
       The Questionable: So, yeah I enjoyed this book, but that doesn't mean I didn't have questions. In fact there were many places in the book where I just had to suspend my disbelief and keep reading. Let's revisit those places.
                  The Undine's scales: So, when the Undine are on land, or out of the water their scales form into a sort of close fitting clothing. Okay, I got that. However, when they go into the archives they have to wear robes. I don't know why this is, couldn't they just wear their scales????? it was really confusing. Also at one point when Serena is hanging off of a cliff the scales at the tips of her fingers rub off. However, when Ervine is hit by the bullet his scales only dent. I really didn't understand why that was. Also multiple times in the book Serena talks about totally covering herself in scales, but when the battle is in full swing, Ervine get hit in the face, where apparently there are no scales, WHAT? I really didn't understand why he didn't have scales there.
                   Weapons: Why didn't the Undine Maidens get better weapons when they were going to war with the wolves? All they were given was knives. Who thought that knives would be a good defense against wolves? I mean I guess if you could throw the knife that would be great but I got the feeling that the maidens were just repeatedly stabbing the wolves. So, maybe it's just me, but it seems like werewolves would kill the maidens before they could even get their knives into the wolf. I feel like the canines range is bigger than the maidens.
                  Mating: So, the king's palace isn't underwater, and neither are anyone's houses, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST MATE THERE????? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they can only mate on that one beach . . . like NO SENSE. Yeah, so that was strange.
 
Overall however I found this story VERY engaging and exciting as well as well written. I would recommend it to other mermaid fans, or even werewolf fans.
 
Rating:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment